Author Interview: Jenny Knipfer

Jenny Knipfer, an Indie Christian Fiction author from Wisconsin, is hard at work on her series: By the Light of the Moon. The first book, Ruby Moon, is already available for purchase, while the next three in the series are awaiting publication, and the fourth is her current work in progress.
Though I haven’t read the first book yet, I asked Jenny to let me pick her brain. She was kind enough to answer some questions.

Your first book, Ruby Moon, is a tale of grief, guilt, greed, and redemption. What inspired you to write this book? 
One hot July night while taking the garbage out, I saw a real red moon. I have never seen anything like it since. I went in and wrote about it, and birthed Jenay's story. The premise of the book came from a friend who was involved with an accidental death. With those two factors, the story had its bones, but it wouldn’t be until years later, when life had taught me a few lessons, that Ruby Moon gained its substance.

Did you know this would be a series when you started writing Ruby Moon or was it originally a stand-alone? 
No. I had no inkling I would be writing a series. I find it rather miraculous considering my health fluctuations and physical malfunctions with MS.

One thing about Ruby Moon that sparks my curiosity is the ethnicity of your protagonist, Jenay. I’m a sucker for lesser-known cultures. Cultural education sprinkled throughout a story keeps me turning pages. Jenay is of French and Ojibwe descent. Were you hoping to shine a light on this group of indigenous people by including their culture in your story?  

Yes. I am of French/Canadian and Sioux descent, amongst other nationalities. My Native American heritage has always intrigued me. For Ruby Moon, I chose Ojibwe instead because of their prevalence in the region of Canada I imagine the story to be set in. Also, the area I live in is rich in Ojibwe culture as well.

Is Historical Romance your favorite genre to read and write? 

Yes. I guess I don’t consider myself a romance writer per-say—not that my books don’t have romance in them. I write more crisis-driven plots. The romance takes a supporting role in how the characters deal with the joy and trauma of life. 


What does your daily writing schedule look like? 

Usually, my mornings are filled with networking, various publishing chores, creating social media posts, promotion, and editing. I write mostly in the evenings. My creative brain comes to life when everyone else is tucked in. To keep the stress minimal on my fingers, wrists, and forearms, I write on my iPad and edit on my MacBook. My carpal tunnel and MS thank me for that regime.


When you were researching for this series, did you make any exciting discoveries or humorous finds? 

Nothing humorous comes to mind.
The tool which helped me the most in adding some Ojibwe language in Ruby Moon was a website hosted by the University of Minnesota - https://ojibwe.lib.umn.edu
This site works like a dictionary. You can search in English, and if an equivalent in Ojibwe exists, it will pop up. For many of the words, you can also hear them spoken in Ojibwe. It was important for me as an author to be able to speak and understand the Ojibwe words, if I chose to include them in Ruby Moon.

What interests do you have, other than writing? 

I’m a very creative person. I previously worked as a floral designer before my disability forced me to retire. I still play with flowers from time to time. I enjoy quilting, sewing purses and bags, paper crafts, miniature gardening, and jewelry making.

When will the next book in your series, By the Light of the Moon, be available?
I hope to release Blue Moon sometime this fall in late September or early October.

Random question: What’s your favorite snack to eat while writing? (Mine is room-temp homemade mac & cheese!) 

Interesting. :) Probably chocolate—the darker, the better.

A lot of ChriFi readers are particular about the content in their reads. Tell us, on a content scale of 1-5 (1 being the least content, 5 being the most) how much profanity and sexuality Ruby Moon contains.

I would put Ruby Moon in the 1 -2 category. It has some references to sex, but nothing too suggestive or explicit. There is no profanity.


How do you feel God has moved in your life to bring you to a place of authoring this series? 

I don’t think I would have ever finished and published Ruby Moon if I was still working. When I had to quit my job, I looked around my house wondering what in the world to fill my time with, and the book I had started years prior came to mind. I think I needed the time gap to live and experience more of what Jenay experiences. Jenay’s grief is my grief, and in many places, Jenay’s pain is my pain. My struggle with depression and chronic pain led me to some difficult places, but it is at the darkest times when we have the most potential for light. God’s presence with me in the caverns of life is what wrote Ruby Moon.

Thanks, Kelli, for doing an interview with me!!!

Link time! Give us all the links to your blog, social media pages, and places your books are available for purchase!

My website — https://jennyknipfer.com I blog every Monday and offer monthly giveaways.
Currently, you can purchase Ruby Moon on Amazon in ebook and paperback formats, at local stores listed on my site, or through me via PayPal.
https://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Moon-Light-Jenny-Knipfer/dp/1095175297/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Jenny+Knipfer&qid=1563209746&s=books&sr=1-1
I am working on publishing with Ingramspark which will make Ruby Moon available at a wholesale price to libraries and bookstores.
https://www.facebook.com/write.create.breath.pray.reapeat/
https://twitter.com/JennyKnipfer
https://www.instagram.com/jennyknipferbrave/
https://www.pinterest.com/jennyknipfer/




Comments

Popular Posts