Book Review: The Oath by Frank Peretti- Oct 2017

Two genres that you don't normally think of putting together are Christian Fiction and Horror. Frank Peretti handcrafted the hybrid, as far as I'm concerned. And he's a genius for doing so.

I can't say that this book was scary. It was intense at moments. Shocking in more than a few places. But more than anything, it was a nice allegorical story of what sin does to those who hold onto it. You have Steve, whose brother is killed by what the locals say is a grizzly bear. He wants to look into it himself, and with the help of a local female police officer, they begin their own investigation, which really stirs up the locals. The townspeople are protecting a secret and an oath that goes back generations.

Steve's personality is easy to like. He tries to be a good guy, is overall friendly and concerned about the welfare of the townsfolk, but just like every other human, he has his struggles. And neither Steve nor Tracy are Christians, so they aren't immune to the evil lurking in town or within themselves.

Levi is the town weirdo. Not like peeking in windows, watching your children type of weirdo. He's the only Christian in town that is willing to speak out and be bold about what is really going on. He has some odd theories, and throughout the book you wonder, "Is this guy for real?" but he always means well. His character was one of my favorites, by far.

There were several times in the book that I chuckled. I really love the way Frank gives the characters their own senses of humor without making it feel corny or forced.

Some of my favorite quotes are, 
"He could sense an atmosphere that was hot, close, and heavy, the trouble-laden stuff that storms are made of."
"You're just trying to deal with pain by sticking it in a test tube. That way, it isn't really yours."
"As far as he could tell, there was no stench. Maybe it wasn't going to be serious. Maybe it wasn't permanent. Maybe it was a warning." -- In order to not give spoilers, just trust me...this is allegory at its finest.

This was my first book to read by Frank, and I'm currently reading a third by him now. It isn't unusual for his books to be long--564 pages long--but this one seemed to have an extra slow start. I typically have a 4-chapter rule. If I am not into it at all by the end of the 4th chapter, I give up. I was still struggling to hold interest by the end of the 4th chapter. Honestly, it wasn't until the 8th or 9th that it hooked me! But this was the book of the month for my book club and I was obligated to finish. I am really glad I did. The point the author is getting across through the story sticks, and it is far from boring once you get into it.

Content:

Violence: Quite a bit. It's bloody, has frightening situations, and is riddled with violence. I wouldn't let a young kid read it.
Language: Clean
Sex: There are mentions of affairs, sex outside of marriage, a man lusting after a woman. Nothing was written in great detail or in an uncomfortable way, though. I would consider it really clean and what sexual content there was was absolutely vital to the story.
Religion: It is obviously a religious book, but it is a good story even for someone who isn't a Christian. It is safe for any denomination.

Because of what felt like a super slow start, I had to deduct one star because had I not committed to reading the book, I sadly wouldn't have finished it. Don't get me wrong!!! It was great. I just have trouble loving books that aren't grabbing from the get-go, and due to long character introductions it fell into that "slow start" category. Would I recommend it? Sure. If you have no problem with the first hour or so being slow, then go for it!

M



Comments

Popular Posts