Book Review: Mr. Darcy to the Rescue by Victoria Kincaid (and a lady)- Sept 2017

It's the day before payday. You know all of the house's snacks have been devoured and your chances of finding anything worth nibbling on are slim to none. But your persistent craving for something sweet keeps drawing you back into the kitchen. You dig around and come up empty handed, and begin to sulk back into the bedroom when suddenly you remember... I stashed away those Oreos! You rush over to the canister labeled PASTA, pop off the lid, and there they are in all of their chocolate and cream glory. You pour your milk and sneak off to enjoy your guilty pleasure alone, praying nobody catches you and asks for a bite.


M
 

This book is the equivalent to said scenario.

Any avid Austen fan has but one complaint--she's no longer alive to continue entertaining us. How we wish she'd left books stashed away to be found modern day and published for her 21st century fans! Ms. Kincaid (and a lady) has done a splendid job being the "oreos in the pasta canister" for us. Her story brings us back to Pemberley, Loungbourn, and Rosings. We find ourselves reliving many of the familiar scenes of Pride and Prejudice, but the story takes many entertaining turns and shocking twists, pulling us into an Austen-style drama that you relish every word of.

In this fun variation, Elizabeth Bennet accepts Mr. Collins's offer of marriage, due to her father's ailing health. Mr. Darcy cannot bear the thought of losing her to such a man, and risks even his pride to win her hand. But the ill impression he'd made at the Meryton Assembly, when he'd declined dancing with her when Mr. Bingley had suggested so, was an impression he'd have to work hard to overcome--and fast! 

S
 

Ms. Kincaid (and a lady) does an amazing job writing in Jane's style. There were times I forgot I wasn't reading Pride and Prejudice. My only complaint is that she did not use one of my favorite quotes from P&P in this book: You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you. I waited and waited for it, and it never came. However, the book did not lack and I did enjoy the dialogue.

I downloaded the book free during a promotion time and am glad I worked it into my TBR list. I savored every moment of it; so much so, that I finished it in two days easily. It brought me back to the first time I read Pride and Prejudice, and the dozens of times I've watched the Colin Firth version of the film. (Is there any that compares?)

M
 
I've spent hours watching shows like Downton Abbey to bring me to my Austen-era happy place, and thought that had come to an end when the last season finished. When I say this book is my "oreo stash", I'm serious! 

S
 

Content

Language: infrequent uses of damnation and its derivatives.
Sexual Content: This was a more heated version of Jane's book. There was nothing graphic, but there were mentions of bodily responses to situations, and an obvious sexual tension between characters. There were mentions of thoughts of wedding nights and the like, but nothing explicit. I had no discomfort reading it, but wouldn't recommend it for my 14 year old daughter. She'll have to get her "oreo stash" later in life, I'm afraid.
Violence: As much as any similar book. A few punches to the face, a forced kiss. Things of that nature. Nothing gory.

My rating?  Five stars


S
 


Comments

Popular Posts