Book Review: Counted Worthy by Leah E. Good- Aug 2017

"If only there was a way to get Christian literature into the hands of ordinary people. It would change the country."

Counted Worthy is a Christian dystopian novel. Christian+dystopian. Yes. Yesssssss!

M
 
 
The protagonist is Heather Stone, a Christian born in a country where Christianity is outlawed and books are screened. Bibles are outlawed, as are religious gatherings and mentioning things pertaining to religion. Heather's family is part of the underground Christian group that smuggles Bibles into the hands of believers. When her father gets caught, she is put in a difficult situation. She wants to save him from the government without recanting on her faith. Along with help from two family friends, Bryce and Miss Lucy, they race against the clock.

Here are some of my favorite things about this book:
1. It is simply written, and not in a bad way. From young teens up to adults, anyone could dig her writing.
2. Heather, like other Christians in this book, train themselves to memorize scripture. These scriptures are sprinkled throughout the book, and make you realize just how important it is to store scripture away. It poses the question: How much would I remember if my Bible was taken?
3. Sentimental tidbits. Little things like, "I had started putting Dad's slippers by the door when I was little. It was my way of welcoming him home from work. The little routine felt right, but the missing slipper widened the ache in my heart." really suck you into the scene. There was a scene where Bryce realizes he might lose Heather forever and his response (I won't spoil it for you) made me tear up.
4. It isn't romantic mush. I do enjoy a good romantic novel. I even like love triangles from time to time. But this book sticks to the plot and doesn't throw in a ton of gushing junk. There is literally zero sexual content. Yes, there are hints at feelings here and there, but it never once distracts from the main point. And sometimes--like in this novel--that is a refreshing change.
5. The author shows us instead of tells. She paints pictures and pulls at your base emotions without using too many words.
6. Leah (the author) doesn't give you what you want. Just when you think something is going to go a certain way, it doesn't. Not like giant plot twists... just a bit unpredictable.
7. Bits of knowledge tucked here and there. Understated, but definitely there. "It didn't take long to become accustomed to an activity, even an illegal one." Things that make you nod your head and read on.
8. Good editing. There were very few errors in the book. I only recall seeing one. That's pretty darn good.

Here are some things that make this book differ from other books I tend to rate 5-stars:
1. This is a fast read. I read it in three nights, not even trying to read fast. Most 5-stars end up lasting me a week. That's not to say it has to be a massive book to be worth 5-stars. My own books are under 300 pages. I just tend to get hooked on big books. This was a lovely exception to that unwritten Kelli rule.
2. It wasn't that it was so intense that I stayed up reading all night. Yes, it was interesting enough to hold me. But it wasn't so gripping that I couldn't put it away to cook dinner. It held me enough that I remembered where I left off easily, and was ready to get back to it when I could.
3. Little romance. Almost everything I read has some form of romance in it, even if it isn't the main point of the story. This could definitely not be considered a love story.




Content:
Language: no profanity or vulgarity
Sex: zero. The most you'll see in this book is a hug or a peck on the cheek.
Violence: a good bit, but nothing overly gory. A bullet wound to the head, injuries, mention of death by lethal injection, etc. are mentioned. It doesn't go on and on about the violence, but there is always the threat of future violence lurking on the next page.

I'd let my 14 year old read this one, but found it also good enough to read with my book club. 
How many stars?


L
 

Comments

Popular Posts